Band Parent/Guardian Information
Are you a parent/guardian of a band student? Not quite sure what to expect? Let’s cover some of the basics.
Sign up for REMIND Texts for your student band by entering one (or more) of the following text codes on your cellphone. Fees for text service will apply. Text the following “@______” code to the number 81010 to be signed up for reminders:
-All bands general info:@SMHSBANDS2 -Marching band: @2A9KG9 -Jazz band 1: @SMHSJAZZ1 -Jazz band 2: @SMHSJAZZ2
-Concert band: @SMHSCONCE -Mustang Concert band: @SMHSMUST -Band parents: @SMHSbandp
Marching band provides a rewarding experience for both the parents and students. There is lots of activity! Student participation in the marching band counts as physical education credit. Students attend class during the first hour of the day, but their commitment extends far beyond that including:
- Multi-week Summer Band Camp before school begins
- Additional sectional classes after school
- Tuesday and Thursday evening practices
- Performing at home and away football games most Fridays
- Competitions on many Saturdays
- Additional performances for community/other events
Be sure to check out the calendar for specific details.
The SMHS staff provides the formal instruction. There are plenty of opportunities for parents to get involved. SMHS Bandwagon is our parent group. They meet monthly in the band room. Plan to join us and get involved. For every band event we need parents to help. Check out the volunteer page to learn how.
The Marching Band Uniform is provided to all students with musical instruments. It is the same each year. Color Guard students have a different uniform each year that must be purchased. There are several additional items that are needed.
Forever Shirts/Show Shirt (Everyone) – Worn on Friday’s to storm the halls and at games.
Shoes (Everyone Except Color Guard) – As part of the uniform, each band member wears Viper Marching Shoes. They are $40
- Men’s sizes: 2 ½ – 13 (full and half sizes)
- Men’s wide: 6 ½ – 13 (full and half sizes) 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
- Women’s sizes: 4 ½ – 15 (full and half sizes)
- Women’s wide: 8 ½ – 15 (full and half sizes) 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
Folio Folder (Winds and Brass, NOT Flutes) –
To hold the music for the stand tunes students should have a flip folder. The lyre is NOT included and must be purchased from a local music store. They are $7 and can be purchased from the Bandwagon online store.
Uniform Fee –
The $80 uniform fee covers the dry-cleaning of our traditional uniforms, as well as the purchase of our show specific uniforms. (not included, cost of marching shoes which can be purchased through the Bandwagon online store). Note: we will not be using gloves this year for our wind section. Do not purchase gloves. Colorguard gloves and shoes will need to be purchased on your own.
Many of these items can be purchased the our online store. You can use a credit or debit card to pay for the purchase. Deliveries will be made to the school. All shipping and other fees are included in the price.
Additional Items Needed (purchased elsewhere)
- Black socks (to be worn with uniform)
- Black compression shirt (to be worn with uniform)
- Folio folder & holder for the wrist (Flutes only)
- Folio folder holder (winds & brass)
- Shorts/exercise pants that will be worn under uniform
If you haven’t been involved in marching band before you may not be familiar with the costs involved. Prepare your family budget to include the following expenses for marching band students:
- Band Camp Fee $160 – paid to SMHS by June 25th
- Band Participation Fee $100 – paid to SMHS by first game
- Instrument Rental $50 – paid to SMHS by first day of school
- Uniform Fee $80 – purchased through Pride of Sunrise store by July 30th
- Student Forever Shirt $20
- Shoes $40
- Folio Folder $7
- Lyre that is appropriate for your instrument (purchase at local music store)
- Black compression shirt (two recommended from local store)
The band participation fee and instrument rental fee is paid directly to the school, but many of the other items can be purchased the our online store. Don’t let the costs discourage you or your student from getting involved in the band. There are creative ways pay for future band expenses by volunteering to work with other band parents and students at the University of Phoenix Stadium. Contact the Volunteer Coordinator to get started.
Other optional expenses include:
- Programs and souvenirs at competitions
- Parent T-Shirts, hats, etc.
- Student/parent support banners
- Monthly restaurant fundraisers
- Homecoming meal fundraiser
- Student Band Uniform Photos
- Plus we’re always looking for donations of supplies such as water, Fabreeze, pledge wipes, socks, garbage bags, meal supplies, etc.